Saturday, September 30, 2006

my vegan lunchbox, and then some!

I forgot to show you my "vegan lunchbox" I took with me to the zoo on Thursday:
example
Apple slices, carrot sticks, and celery sticks for dipping in peanut butter, an apple-cinnamon muffin, and some Green and Black's Hazelnut and Currant chocolate for dessert! (Funny story: I offered a piece to Olivia, she took one look at it, her eyes bulged out of her head and she whispered, "oh . . . chocolate!" While she was eating it, she was trying to get down out of her chair; Chelsea offered to hold her chocolate for her; Olivia furrowed her brow at her mom, pulled her chocolate to her chest, and said, "no . . . !" I think Liv thought Chelsea was trying to sneak a bite! We all laughed.) This ended up being not quite enough lunch for me after all that fresh air and exercise, so I supplemented with some popcorn, and a cup of coffee. Man, I likes my coffee.
----------
example
I made chili and cornbread for dinner tonight! I really love chili -- you can use up pretty much whatever veggies you have on hand, and it still somehow tastes good. Ingredients in this chili (most, if not all, organic):
canola oil
red onions
carrots
celery
green pepper
jalapeno
garlic
yukon gold potato
frozen corn
kale
canned tomatoes
black beans
pinto beans
green onions
water
salt
chili powder
cumin
----------
example
A short tower of peanut butter cookies. I made these yesterday for dessert -- Michelle came over for dinner before the Cloud Cult show at the Varsity. (I made roasted veggies and tofu, and whole wheat couscous for dinner.)
----------
Hooray for Cloud Cult, by the way -- what a rockin' show! I love when a band has enough of a following and is popular enough that the show turns into a romping singalong. Awesome! (And it's really fun being on "the list," too! Michelle was healthy this time 'round, and happy to fill the role of "plus one.") It's also always fun to watch my buddy, Dan, play drums!
----------
So, this started as a food post, but has turned into a little bit of the last few days kind of post! Bear with me.
----------
Last thing . . . I just HAD to show you my spoils from the thrift store today! Christine and I poked around the Unique Thrift Store on Rice St. in Saint Paul, and I found three really awesome things:
example
The coat is clean and in reasonably good repair (one small rip in one of the seams, which can be easily mended,) and fits me perfectly. The scarf is fuzzy and warm, and matches all three of my new coats (this one, the green cord fall coat, and the blue wool winter coat.) The shoes are something special all together . . . yes indeed, those are patent leather bowling shoes! They are by "Soft Walk," and are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned . . . no breaking in period, incredibly! They are just the right size, and are in perfect condition -- they had never been worn (I think -- the treads were sparkling clean and one of the footbeds still has scraps of the sticker from the shoe store that sold them,) and were only $14.95! (Christine mentioned she thinks Soft Walk shoes run around a hundred bucks, retail.) I spent less than $25 today, and got some majorly awesome stuff, if you ask me! I'm starting to feel like a thrift store goddess -- between today, and the Diesel jean jacket I found at Tatters a couple of weeks ago for $20, (the girl who rang me up told me that the jacket used to be hers, and she bought it originally for $160!), I've gotten some really awesome deals!
----------
And that's all, folks. For now, anyhow.

2 comments:

KleoPatra said...

Cute shoes... and love the food, especially the chili and cornbread AND those peanut butter cookies, Catherine!

Anonymous said...

love the cloths! the food looks very good!